Jim Brooks has particular expertise in Indigenous, employment, crime, land and native title matters, and rights issues, with particular experience in the resolution of complex, multi-party disputes.
Mediation and facilitation
Nationally accredited mediator, Queensland Law Society Accredited Mediation Law Specialist, 20 year mediation experience with Community Justice Program, Youth Justice Conferencing, justice mediator, Dispute Resolution Centre, Supreme Court approved mediator, appointed mediator Retail Shop Leases Act 1994 (QCAT), and private mediation practice.
Thorough, dedicated and effective investigator of complaints and grievances for State instrumentalities, local government, community-based organisations and commercial workplaces.
Jim Brooks’ management experience includes:
- The National Stolen Children Enquiry
- The establishment of the first Australian regional joint office of the Anti-Discrimination Commission/Human Rights Equal Opportunity Commission
- The establishment of the only Australian regional office of the National Native Title Tribunal
- The Melbourne Censorship Office
- The Cape York Land Council
- Family Responsibilities Commission
- Jim Brooks’ legal practice
Membership of Professional and Community Bodies
- Nationally Accredited Mediator
- QLS Accredited Mediation Law Specialist
- appointed mediator Retail Shop Leases Act 1994 (QCAT)
- Cairns Community Legal Centre – founding and continuing member
- Accredited Mediator – Dispute Resolution Centre
- Accredited Mediator – Queensland Law Society
- Approved Mediator – Supreme Court of Queensland
- Accredited Justice Mediator
- Accredited Youth Justice Conferencing convener.